Saturday, February 25, 2012

Dining Room Art - Designing the Canvas Art

I originally intended to paint some flowers, but didn't quite trust my free-hand painting yet, though I do want you to see an incomplete project that I began last week, in preparation for painting on this canvas:


I made this rough draft on watercolor paper, which is really thick, using acrylic paints.  I enjoyed the opportunity to just paint, but my perfectionistic tendencies kicked in and made me not too happy with this.  It's no bad for a first attempt, but in doing this, it made me realize that painting on my Dining Room Canvas will probably not be possibly because it is too 2-D and my art is calling out for 3-D!  So I will instead be using much more paper products to create paper flowers, stems and other things.  

This pic shows me layering a bunch of grunged-up pieces of papers that I aged with Tim Holtz Distress Ink Vintage Photo and Frayed Burlap.  I love the look of old postcards and birdies and flowers and butterflies, so there will be even more of those things layered on the canvas.  But this was a start.  I also printed some song notes and some journaling on vellum, and used that to layer because I love the translucency of it.  I used decoupage glue to adhere the pieces to the canvas.  


So here is a pic showing the project to date.  I will continue to prepare the rest of the pieces that go on top of this first layer, but it will take time for them to dry before I can add them to the canvas. 



Here are some handmade, vintage, paper flowers using pieces of the journal paper that I layered on the canvas.  Here's how I made the flowers:  



I inked the strip of paper, then wet it a little, so I could manipulate the paper and wrinkle it up nicely.   I then gathered it up into a round shape and glued it in place. 


I then added some little flower buds that I had made a while ago, to the centers of my grunged flowers. 


These flowers will add a lot of dimension to the project.  I also plan to make some butterflies and maybe a bird cage and some birdies.  And, of course, the center piece of the art, which is not totally developed yet!  
Off to create I go!



No comments:

Post a Comment