I had already purchased a plain wooden frame at my local Goodwill store for $2.00 and did not know quite what I would use it for. Certainly not for plain 'ol pictures!!! So this is what it looked like before I did my altering.
I took the whole thing apart and following Andrea's directions, painstalkingly cut up my jute and adhered it to the mat, in a criss-cross fashion. I then cut a piece of burlap, and adhered it to the lower part of the frame. I added days-of-the-week letters and "notes" to the mat because those won't change over the year. Once I got the mats put together under the glass, I used dry erase markers to add the month, days, year, a few snow flakes, and a message. I love the way it turned out!
Here's a close of of the jute under the glass:
I'm still thinking about painting the frame or altering it with textured tissue paper or something snazzy, but mostly, I'm just glad I got yet another project done this year! It feels good to do fun projects like this!
Got a bunch of awesome books about art journaling for Christmas, so I will be reading and art journaling a lot in 2013!
Wishing all who visit my blog a bountiful and blessed new year!